DSATools™ is a suite of leading-edge power system analysis tools that provides the capabilities for a complete assessment of system security, including all forms of stability.
DSATools™ offers a complete toolset for power system planning and operational studies. In addition to rich modeling capabilities and advanced computational methods, the software is packed with useful study tools that enable significant productivity improvements.
The key components in the suite – VSAT, TSAT, and SSAT – have also been designed to be used for on-line dynamic security assessment (DSA). In this mode, the software is connected directly to a power system’s energy management system (EMS) and assesses the system security in continuous cycles. An on-line DSA system provides system operators with important information about system security limits, critical contingencies, and remedial actions needed to prevent system failures.
System design, planning, and operation studies involving:
- Thermal and voltage decline/rise assessment
- Reactive power planning
- Stability assessment (transient, voltage, oscillatory, frequency)
- NERC compliancy studies
- Planning alternative assessment
- IPP and renewable integration studies
- Development, validation, and calibration of system models
- Design of special protection systems
- Design, coordination, and tuning of controls
- Determination of stability limits
- Assessment of system security for current operating
- Determination of critical contingencies
- Determination of stability limits
- Recommendations for preventive/corrective control actions
- Management of renewable generation
- Verification of special protection systems
- Power market settlement
- Determination of active and reactive power reserves
- Scheduling of equipment maintenance
- Support for PMU/WAMS applications
- Operator training
- Calibration and validation of power system models
- Preparation of models for system studies
- Post-mortem analysis of incidents
- System restoration
- Comprehensive analysis capabilities in terms of performance criteria, including voltage stability, transient stability, small signal stability, thermal overloads, voltage decline/rise, transient voltage/frequency, and relay margins
- Data setup and program operation with graphical user interface
- Fast and accurate leading-edge solution engines for powerflow solution, time-domain simulations, and eigenvalue analysis
- Support for using Python scripts for various powerflow activities
- Capability for analyzing systems of up to 100,000 buses and 8,000 generators
- Rich library of models for various types of studies, including network, load, generator, renewables, HVDC, FACTS, relays and protections, and user-defined modeling capabilities
- Flexible output analysis tools
- Compatibility with popular third-party data formats
- Scenario-based study approach supporting analysis of multiple study conditions and contingencies
- Highly automated analysis features, including automatic one- and two-dimensional stability limit search
- Distributed computation for dramatically improved performance
- Integration with energy management systems (EMS) for on-line DSA
DSATools™ is available in a number of licensing options, including:
- Single-user license
- Multiple-user license
- On-line license
- Enterprise license
- Educational license
Please contact Powertech to obtain a license quotation.
DSATools™ programs are coded with a Softkey protection scheme.
Training courses for DSATools™ are available from Powertech. Standard courses are regularly offered at Powertech’s office. Training can also be customized at a client’s request and delivered at a client’s site.
Software User Support Services
Powertech provides technical support for DSATools™ with user support contracts. In addition, support services can also be provided to address special issues, such as extended support time with guaranteed service levels, model development and calibration, integration of on-line DSA system, etc.
The suggested minimum hardware and software requirements for DSATools™ are as follows:
- PC running Windows 7/8/Server 2008/Server 2012
- 1 GB RAM per CPU core
- 10 GB free space on hard disk
- Adobe Acrobat Reader for reading user manuals
- Python (optional)
- MATLAB and Optimization toolbox for running CDT
- Additional hardware and software requirements are necessary for implementing on-line DSA systems.