- PowerFlow & Short Circuit Assessment Tool
- Voltage Security Assessment Tool
- Transient Security Assessment Tool
- Small Signal Analysis Tool
- WSAT Case Study
- On-Line Application of DSATools
- Power System Security
The DSAToolsTM suite is the next-generation of power system analysis tools and provides the complete assessment of system security including all forms of stability.
The DSAToolsTM provide a complete toolset for power system planning and operational studies. In additon to rich modeling capabilities and leading-edge computational methods, the software is highly automated and can provide engineers with significant productivity improvements.
PSAT - PowerFlow & Short Circuit Assessment Tool
PSATTM is a full-featured graphical PowerFlow and Short Ciruit testing and analysis program that includes table-driven data manipulation and a flexible one-line diagram capability. It can be used for stand-alone PowerFlow analysis or for data exchange with the other DSAToolsTM products.
- Creating and modifying powerflow models
- Contingency assessment including overload and voltage studies
- Producing diagrams for output reports
- Setting up initial conditions for other DSATools applications
VSAT - Voltage Security Assessment Tool
VSATTM is a highly automated steady-state analysis tool designed for comprehensive voltage security assessment. VSAT includes flexible specification of voltage security criteria and is designed to handle a large number of contingencies, power transfers, and scenario
- Reactive power planning studies
- Operational planning studies (security limit assessment)
- On-line voltage security assessment
- Any analysis involving,
Assessment of thermal overloads
Determination of voltage security limits
Evaluation of required voltage stability margins
Transfer limits (ATC & TTC)
TSAT - Transient Security Assessment Tool
TSATTM is a leading-edge full time-domain simulation tool designed for comprehensive assessment of dynamic behavior of complex power systems. TSAT includes a rich model library, state-of-the-art solvers, and a highly intuitive user interface. Like VSAT and SSAT, TSAT can automatically find security limits under specified contingencies and transfer conditions.
- Studies involving rotor angle, voltage, or frequency stability
- Transmission system design and operating studies including stability limit assessments
- IPP integration studies
- Design and setpoint determination of special protection systems
- Control tuning and protection coordination
SSAT - Small Signal Analysis Tool
SSATTM is an eigenvalue-based software tool designed for analysis of small signal stability of large complex power systems. It includes a wide number of analysis functions and productivity tools, making it ideal for investigating oscillatory behavior, and for designing and tuning controls to improve system damping.
- Studies of low-frequency inter-area oscillations
- Analysis of local or inter-machine modes of oscillations
- Design and tuning of controls
- Investigation of the sensitivity of system parameters on modes of oscillations
- Contingencies screening to meet damping requirement
- Determination of power transfer limit to meet damping requirement
Powertech Partners with EirGrid to Develop Wind Security Assessment Software Tool (WSAT)
Powertech's on-line DSA technology is used with the Wind Security Assessment Tool (WSAT), in a joint development with the Irish national grid company EirGrid. WSAT is now operational at the National Control Center (NCC) of EirGrid.
On-Line Application of DSAToolsTM
Security Assessment in Near-Real-Time
The DSAToolsTM are designed to provide on-line security assessment when used in the real-time sequence of the control center's energy management system (EMS). The software works with a solved powerflow provided by the state-estimator and communicates with the EMS via flat files or TCP/IP network connection. Powertech's DSAManagerTM controls all computations which are conducted on a dedicated cluster of computers and, if necessary, distributed processing is used to meet performance requirements. Results may be passed back to the EMS console or are accessible locally or remotely.
Power System Security Assessment
In today’s rapidly changing operating environment, conventional planning and operating methods can leave power systems exposed to failures. Numerous system blackouts have occurred due to phenomena such as voltage instability or low frequency inter-area oscillations; phenomena often undetected until failure occurs.