Ozone can be found in air-cooled electric generators as a result of corona activity, slot discharge, or arcing brushes. Even trace levels of ozone will react with most materials including metals, plastics and rubbers. Prolonged exposure will ultimately destroy these materials. Ozone can also present a health hazard. Government safety standards mandate respiratory protection for personnel exposed to ozone levels exceeding 100 ppb for an eight-hour period. Reducing ozone levels will result in lower maintenance costs through reduced materials and equipment damage and improved personnel work efficiencies while reducing health risks.
Catalytic ozone reduction system has been developed to reduce ozone in air-cooled electric generation equipment. The benefits that this system can provide include:
- A reasonable cost alternative to HVAC modifications or generator rewinding
- Minimal plant and generator modifications
- System scaled to meet specific plant requirements
- High process efficiency (98% ozone reduction in the process stream)
- 100% thermal energy recovery
- No waste products
- Catalyst is easily reconditioned
Powertech can evaluate your specific requirements and provide the necessary systems to both monitor and control the ozone levels in your plant.