Powertech’s Applied Chemistry Department provides testing, consultation, and applied research to the power industry for the purposes of diagnostics, condition assessment, and life extension.
• Insulating Fluids—dissolved gas analysis, oil quality tests, analysis of furans in oil and insulating paper, PCB monitoring, and analysis of SF6 gas.
• Fuels and Lubricants—routine testing for lubricants, hydraulic fluids, and liquid fuels using industry-recognized procedures or complex analyses with in-house-developed techniques.
• Polymers and Materials— material identification, thermal characterization of materials, compositional and purity testing, analysis of tensile and sheer strength, and determination of standard material characteristics.
• Environmental Services—analytical testing of soils and water, effluent monitoring, evaluation of environmental technologies, and life-cycle assessment.
• Research and Development— expertise to prevent transformer and other equipment failures, with focus on life extension, on-line monitoring and fault diagnosis.
• Training—courses on insulating fluids analysis and diagnostics for insulating oils and SF6.
• Weathering Chamber—Accelerated aging tests under simulated conditions for heat, rain/acid rain, fog/salt fog, Ultraviolet A and B exposure, sunlight, and voltage up to 40 kV.